ALAGAËSIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice

+3
Matttt
brunnwag
AspenShadow
7 posters

Go down

[Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice Empty [Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice

Post by AspenShadow 02.02.12 18:18

Just an idea for a lose/lose outcome in a quest-chain that I'd been chewing around for a bit. (Note: I'll say it now at the beginning that all the claims both sides make are true, it's down to which people you trust/believe in more, you have to pick a side).

[New Quest: The Empty Forest]
"A proud and outspoken hunter living on the outskirts of [Insert Town] claims that the local Urgal population has been plotting against him and scaring away his game, because of his very public and prejudiced rants about them being 'mindless beasts'. He has tasked you with discovering and disrupting their efforts to deprive him of his food and income (forcing him to move)."

[Updated Quest Log: You meet the Urgals...]
"You meet with the Urgals in their nearby settlement and after proving you are honourable and worthy of speaking with (trial of combat or task maybe?), they claim that they have nothing to do with the forest's lack of animals in recent times; blaming the hunter for overhunting the area, and go on to say that he has been poaching their livestock for some time. They task you with discovering how he has been gaining access to their guarded grazing lands."

The quest now splits into two parts, you can:
Explore and investigate a bit more to find out how the Urgals are getting rid of the animals...
OR you can return to the Hunter and investigate how he is slipping past their guard...

[Updated Quest Log: If you choose to believe the Hunter's anti-Urgal claims...]
"Clue 1: You have found some peculiar tracks in the forest...
Clue 2: After drinking some of the water from the nearby stream you discover it's poisoned (You are badly poisoned, so stock up on curatives).
Clue 3: You suspect foul play and follow the tracks past the stream and to a nearby cave...
Conclusion: There is a large monster of some kind that has been semi-trained by the Urgals to only hunt animals from that part of the forest by indentifying their weaker, poisoned scents; though evidently not trained well enough as there are a few unfortunate Urgals in the mass of bodies as well. The creature attacks and you kill it, taking it's pelt and some Urgal/Animal evidence as well back to the Hunter."

OR...

[Updated Quest Log: If you choose to believe the Urgals...]
"The Hunter is out in the nearby town giving another Anti-Urgal speech trying to rally the townspeople to his cause, you seize this chance and break in. You find a letter beside a crudely drawn map (detailing a secret route into their lands) inside his desk drawers, after some examination it seems the Urgals have a traitor in their midst, you return and speak quietly to the Chief Ram and investigate his weaker rival for power. As it turns out this pathetic Urgal has indeed betrayed their community in exchange for making the Ram look bested by a puny human and the Urgal claims he would later set a trap and kill his hunter/ally pretending to have solved the problem himself and seizing power from the current Ram. He can't let you leave alive with this knowledge and tries to kill you, once he is dead you search his body to find one last piece of incriminating evidence before you return to the Chief Ram and explain the story."
[Completed Quest: The Empty Forest]

[New Quest: The Hunter Becomes The Hunted]{You receive a courier message to start this quest}
"The Hunter calls on you again (depending on how the last quest worked out he may be a lil' pissed at you), ranting and raving about how the Urgals are trying to trap, ambush and kill him in the forest. He tells you to journey into the forest he doesn't dare set foot in anymore and either disable the traps or bring him enough game to last this coming winter."

[Updated Quest Log: Reconnecting with old friends...]
"After you finish collecting the meats/disarming the traps in the forest, you are stopped by an Urgal patrol, upon seeing who you are take you to the Chief Ram who denies any and all attempts at ambushing and killing the Hunter, claiming these traps are probably the work of a competing human. When asked why the patrol then, he replies that Urgal infants have been going missing; stolen in the night, and he suspects the Hunter rather than wild animals (no animal would approach a sleeping Urgal), but begrudgingly admits that he has no evidence of this (only humans require evidence). He asks you for the sake of the mothers to find the children he knows the Hunter has kidnapped out of vengeance."

"When you return to the hunter to tell him the forest is safe or to supply him with game, you interrogate him about the missing children and as an act of good faith to prove his innocence, he suggests that you both go into the forest and surrounding caves and look for the missing children."

Once again the quest can now go two ways:
You can believe the Hunter's innocence and try to find the children in the wilds
OR you suspect the Hunter and convince him to go on ahead while you explore his buildings...

[Updated Quest Log: If you believe the Urgals...]
"You explore the house and nearby barn finding nothing but the bloodied hides of animals in the basement, until you find a hatch concealed in the barn flooring going down into the secret room, you discover grotesque/bloodied carcasses of the Urgal children having 'flayed' their hides out on a tanning rack like 'the beasts they are' (I'm sorry for the texturers if this idea is included). You take some evidence of the horrific demise of the Urgals children back to the Chief Ram."

OR...

[Updated Quest Log: You believe the Hunter's innocence...]
"After that show of goodwill he couldn't possibly have stolen the missing children, together you set out into the forest and in one of the nearby caves you find a large cave bear surrounded by unidentifiable carcasses which he claims 'smell' of Urgal, together you slay the bear and on your way back through the forest the Urgal 'patrol' from earlier spots the Hunter and tries to kill the both of you after you've fended off the Urgals, the both of you return home to recover."
[Completed Quest: The Hunter Becomes The Hunted]

[New Quest: Vigilante Justice] {Begins straight after the last quest; both choices}
[If you found the Hunter's grisly handiwork under the barn and returned to the Chief Ram...]
"As you arrive there is a tribal meeting in the settlement, you walk up to the Chief Ram and empty the bloody 'hide' of one of the Urgal children onto the dirt; one of the Urgal women claims this is her child, the settlement is outraged and after the Chief Ram stops the others from killing you, you explain that it was indeed the Hunter who had been stealing children in the night (probably using the old secret entrance from 1st quest), after describing the scene in the barn to the Urgals, the whole settlement is about ready to go to war. (Meanwhile the Hunter has gathered all the townsfolk to defend his homestead.)"

[If you believed the Hunter and witnessed the Urgals' attempt to murder him...]
"You recover after the ordeal by sleeping, he generously loans you a bed for the night, but you are both woken early in the morning as the Urgals have come and set the house (luckily not the barn) alight as you both slept to avenge the fallen Urgals you both killed, you stay behind to fight off the Urgals as the Hunter rides to town (Carvahall -> Garrow's house distance) for help, the house is burnt to the ground and the Urgals have retreated. You ride (dragon obv) back into town and find the Hunter has rallied the entire town to his aid and after hearing that his home is destroyed, uses that influence to whip the crowd into a mob."

Now there are four choices:

[If you're Pro-Urgal]
Then you can further incite the Urgals to not only attack the Hunter, but the nearby town as well, you also join in for fun Twisted Evil (Evil).
OR you can try to limit the damage to the Hunter himself, by creating a diversion that will draw the townsfolk away from the attack long enough to explain what the Hunter had done (while the Urgals butcher him ofcourse Twisted Evil ) (Good).

[If you're Pro-Hunter]
Then you can side with him and throw your considerable public influence as a Dragon Rider behind his 'All Urgals are Vicious Beasts Cause' and agree to hunting down the fleeing women and children, you join the slaughter (Evil).
OR you can try to settle down the townsfolk by convincing them that the Urgals acted out of an uninformed sense of justice and that they should work to rebuild the Hunter's house flower (this option will NEVER work), after that is rejected you get angry and ORDER them to at least allow the Urgals to flee and you refuse to participate in the fight, making a few groups leave the mob (Good).

[Obviously once you've chosen the event will begin and the two sides will march on each other Urgals -> Homestead/Town & Mob -> Urgal Settlement/Surrounding Forest]

[When whichever side you chose wins, they will give you a heap of gold, a nice Warhero/Urgal-Friend title (a new book will be scripted as buyable detailing the battle heavily biased against the losing side) and maybe a small statue in the ruined part of town/forest.]

[Completed Quest: Vigilante Justice]

Notes:

REGARDLESS of what you do, the small war WILL erupt and both sides are wrong, it's down to you to back which side you feel is right and limit the damage enough to reflect your alignment.
It'll be a real-time event battle and it will be VERY fun, nowhere near the standards of the Dark Elf Invasion's final few battles, they are only militia after all, but still on a grand scale.

---------------------------------------------------------

So do you like it? Don't you like it?
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

{Edit: On the advice of Brunnwag, here it is only in the default colour}

Last edited by AspenShadow on 02.02.12 19:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Colour-Coding Objection)
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

[Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice Empty Re: [Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice

Post by brunnwag 02.02.12 18:55

What the hell is withe the font colour?!?! I cant read it, gives me headache. Just use white and black on the nexus forums.
brunnwag
brunnwag
Still thinking about rank...

Back to top Go down

[Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice Empty Re: [Quest Chain] The Empty Forest, The Hunter Becomes The Hunted, Vigilante Justice

Post by brunnwag 02.02.12 19:28

nice, i like it. i would definately be pro-urgal ! I like urgals but prefer elves, i think a few times i'd purposely attack the hunter (he'd be invincible obv) just for fun as he sounds like an a**hole
brunnwag
brunnwag
Still thinking about rank...

Back to top Go down

Post by Matttt 04.02.12 0:41

I like it. Plenty of choices which will make it more replayable
Matttt
Matttt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zetabyte 08.02.12 19:19

That's BRILLIANT, Aspen Shadow!

You seem to have a great knack for game play oriented thinking, not just good story telling.

I love that you made it a dire lose-lose situation, it's humbling to the player but still engaging. Reminds me of the scenarios in LA Noire.

One thing I found interesting was discovering the poison water supply by drinking it. This leads to an important question that we may want to poll:

Should the player be required to eat, drink, sleep etc.?

This was called "hardcore mode" in Fallout: New Vegas, and I believe a Skyrim mod exists to bring it into the game. In my opinion, this makes the game much more engaging. It gives food and drink a purpose that potions and magic can't fulfill. It give you a reason to cook! And, as in this quest example, it can lead to unique discoveries.
Zetabyte
Zetabyte

Back to top Go down

Post by blazingsentinal 08.02.12 19:46

i think he is planning on implementing hunger etc.
blazingsentinal
blazingsentinal

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyrtaeus 15.02.12 20:36

Here's the Skyrim Hardcore Mod:

[http]://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9493

(take out the brackets)

Looks pretty good, and would be awesome to implement.
Tyrtaeus
Tyrtaeus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zetabyte 16.02.12 18:38

Great!

We should think about having a section for existing mods that we're interested in integrating into our own, such as the Hardcore Mod.
Zetabyte
Zetabyte

Back to top Go down

Post by AspenShadow 17.02.12 12:53

Bear in mind guys the Hardcore Mod will have to be edited, not all of their plans will mesh well with Alagaesia. Though we will probably be crediting them for quite a bit of the realism system I'd imagine, should brighten their day a bit Smile

And I'm seconding Zeta's idea, we're not going to be devoting tons of time that could be spent elsewhere if someone else is already there/working on it in another mod, so be on the lookout for promiising ones that could be added/edited into Alagaesia.
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nolo99TB 26.02.12 15:38

I agree we should create our own hunger and drink mod for alegasia, that way it mixes in with the foods there andstill give credit tothe original mod creators. It well give this more.................... pizazz! sunny and realisim
Nolo99TB
Nolo99TB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down