ALAGAËSIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Quest] The Forest Heart

3 posters

Go down

[Quest] The Forest Heart Empty [Quest] The Forest Heart

Post by AspenShadow 19.01.12 13:16

In an effort to help make the mod more diverse and enjoyable as far as creatures go, while still retaining as much Inheritance lore/canon as possible, I've devised an idea.

The Dark Elves, however war-like and twisted they've become from their ancestors, are still Elves. Elves are logical, fierce and think ahead, they plan.
I think the Dark Elves will have sent some spies, agents, saboteurs ahead of the main force to investigate and explore this new land and it's people rather than just rush in with a large army and be at an immediate disadvantage because they are unfamiliar with everything.

And so personally I think one of the best places for them to be in lore-wise and strategically is Du Weldenvarden, the forest's wards only permit Elves it doesn't specify Dark or not, the forest is vast and largely uncolonised (for obv reasons) and of course the Dark Elves will want to keep a close eye on their main rivals as they see it to conquering Alagaesia, as well as having some small, subtle vengeances on the Elves as well at the same time.

Sooooooo, I think they'd strike where it'll hurt the most, I think they'd attack/corrupt the forest, twisting the creatures and making them more feral and aggressive. Now Du Weldenvarden is BRIMMING with unknown and CP-undescribed magical creatures, who could be driven out by the disturbance and start populating other areas of Alagaesia, providing some beasts to deal with on the road other than wandering bandits and vanilla wolves and bears.

Now the basic idea of the quest is to venture into the depths of Du Weldenvarden to discover what is causing (and if so eradicate) the corruption; the Dark Elven scouts/saboteurs whatever they will not be discovered obviously until the main force invades and all the little pieces click together in your head, but there will be some hints, easter egg-type clues scattered around the Corrupted Forest Heart and the remains of a camp (however the Dark Elves camp whether they sing trees or shout stone or even build like mortal races whatever, speaking of which Dark Elves will be mortal and susceptible to aging by Inheritance Lore as the Elves' immortality came after they arrived in Alagaesia) and ofcourse on the way you'll meet some nasty warped creatures, traps and maybe one or two powerhungry sorcerers/Shades have been drawn to the tainted part of the forest as well seeking to discover the magic at work and take it for themselves.
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

[Quest] The Forest Heart Empty Re: [Quest] The Forest Heart

Post by brunnwag 19.01.12 16:03

That part about the elves being mortal i hate... Thats why i suggested they abandoned alagaesia during the elf-dragon war expecting that they'd be defeated.
brunnwag
brunnwag
Still thinking about rank...

Back to top Go down

Post by xXActedXx 19.01.12 16:14

But the elves didn't become immortal until after the war when they became dragon riders
xXActedXx
xXActedXx

Back to top Go down

Post by brunnwag 19.01.12 16:34

Sadly there is no way for them to be immortal withing the lore...
brunnwag
brunnwag

Back to top Go down

Post by AspenShadow 19.01.12 16:35

If it's a really big issue for us, than I'm sure I can work a way around to making them immortal without compromising the Lore.
I'll stick it on the constant back-burner for you, Brunnwag Smile
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AspenShadow 20.01.12 18:32

"Elves were originally mortal, only gaining their immortality and magical power from the bond with the dragons, much as human Riders do."
"It is not clear, however, how the effects of a bond with the dragons influenced all the elves, rather than just those of them that bonded with a dragon to become a Rider. "

I think I've found a potential loophole to exploit. I dragged this from the Inheritance wiki and went back through the books there is no mention as to why ALL elves gained their immortality.
Thoughts?
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AspenShadow 20.01.12 19:15

The Elves had roughly 2000 years to adjust to the change, before humans were included in the spell and it was another 1000 years after that that Urgals and Dwarves were added into the pact.

What I find interesting is that it never actually makes any distinctions between Elves and the descendants of Queen Tarmunora (the Elf Queen who performed the spell with the dragons and her spellcasters a while after the dragon war; she was the first to receive the boon of Immortality alongside Eragon I), meaning that the magical gift was likely imbued upon the whole Elven race through magic.

Now at the time of the spell the Elves had only been on Alagaesia for one hundred years, the Elves left behind on Alalea wouldn't have had enough time to genetically diversify from our Elves and would likely be included in the spell as well.
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brunnwag 20.01.12 20:00

If they left during the dragon war (abandoned thier race) they would have no differences ?
brunnwag
brunnwag

Back to top Go down

Post by AspenShadow 20.01.12 20:14

No, their immortality was gained a few decades after the Dragon Wars sadly and the Elves don't run away from anything lol, though they were mortal then so I suppose placed a higher value on their lives... Hmmm...

Still they become the immortal Elves after the War.
AspenShadow
AspenShadow
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down